Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Rating: PG
Score: ★★★★★
Genre: Horror, Dark Fantasy
Page Count: 348
Book #1 of the Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children series
Publisher: Quirk Books
Published: 2011

 It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen year old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that Miss Peregrine's children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow- impossible though it seems- they may still be alive. 

Review:
Pros:
1. This creepy yet fascinating book is definitely a book unlike any other I've ever read. If you're in the loop with all the newest updates about what everyone is currently reading, then you should have seen this book before about a million times. That's what happened in my case and I just couldn't let this book sit on my shelf any longer. Let's just say, I don't regret picking this one up!

2. One thing I really loved about this book was the characters but for different reasons this time around. The characters were very . . . well, peculiar to say the least. I thought it was really interesting to see what each child could do, what their "power" was and how they used it. I loved how the unique abilities between the children weren't those that were common. Consisting from super human strength to being able to bring non-living things to life, the children were very interesting to read about.

3. I really loved how the old vintage pictures used to create the story were so well interwoven that it seemed as though the photographs were taken especially for the book itself. The pictures were sometimes creepy and just hands down terrifying, but others were sweet, funny and even a little witty. I love how the story gave the pictures such a unique meaning and really made me as a reader want to dive in deeper to know more about the pictures.

4. The story is dark and somewhat horrific but was also funny and witty. I got a Lemony Snicket kind of vibe from reading this book, seeing that there was so much mystery and unique characters and had a darker, almost Gothic, kind of tone. It was also lighthearted at times, though rare, but it made me smile, laugh, and sometimes was creepy and scary, almost getting under my skin. It was an enjoyable read that I couldn't stop thinking about even after I finished reading it.

5. Overall, this book definitely deserves the hype that it's been given and so much more. If you're a fan of a mysterious and dark type of book, perfect for a rainy day, then this one is the next book you should pick up! Come on, you know you want too!

Age Recommendation: 12+

I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

Be sure to read this one before the movie hits theaters in March 2016!!

FOLLOW ME:
Twitter: @BooksMusicLife1
Instagram: @Books.Music.Life
Goodreads: @BooksMusicLife1

No comments:

Post a Comment