Sunday, January 11, 2015

Evermore by Alyson Noël

Evermore by Alyson Noël
Rating: PG
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Score: ⭐⭐⭐
Page Count: 301
Book #1 of The Immortals Series
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Published: February 2009
 
After a horrible accident claims the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever Bloom can see people's auras, hear their thoughts, and know someone's entire life story by touching them. Going out of her way to avoid human contact to suppress her abilities, she has been branded a freak at her new high school — but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste
Damen is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy. He's the only one who can silence the noise and random energy in her head - wielding a magic so intense, it's as though he can peer straight into her soul. As Ever is drawn deeper into his enticing world of secrets and mystery, she's left with more questions than answers. And she has no idea just who he really is - or what he is. The only thing she knows to be true is that she's falling deeply and helplessly in love with him.
 
Review:
PROS:
1. This book was honestly the worst book I've read this year so far but there was just a couple of things I did like about this story. Just as a side note, I will not be comparing this book with Twilight since I've never read the books or seen the movies and all the reviews I found were comparing the two books together. Let's get on with the review!
 
2. The first thing I liked about the book was actually the main character, Ever. Now, yes I'm aware she has an incredibly cheesy name, but let's just ignore that for now. I really liked that she used to be the typical beautiful blonde girl who was popular and every guy liked her but changed into a girl that just wanted to be left alone and didn't want to go back to her Malibu Barbie doll image. Even though her life was really not believable, I still liked her character and related in a couple of ways.
 
3. The next thing I really liked about this book is the simplicity of the storyline. It was easy to understand and not overly detailed or descriptive. It was really easy to catch onto and had an air of mystery throughout the entire the book.
 
CONS:
1. The main thing I didn't enjoy about the book was the characters. Even though I liked the main character, the characters including Ever were really non-relatable in most ways. I felt like they were too bland and didn't have enough personality for me to love them. I would have loved to see more development with them in the book.
 
2. I also didn't like how the book focused on just the romance between Ever and Damen. I felt it was a little annoying to just be reading romance when I had so many questions that I really wanted answers too. There was just too much mystery going on to have the romance be the main point of the story.
 
3. Lastly, I couldn't get hooked into the story. For most of the book, (a good 200 pages) nothing happens in the book. I felt like it needed a lot more than drinking, ditching school, and sneaking around to hook me. There were plenty of opportunities to make a really elevated and thrilling scene but the chance wasn't taken. It didn't really have a climax and even the fast-paced and epic scenes just didn't amaze me.
 
Age Recommendation: +13
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

2 comments:

  1. I thought i was the only one that hated it... all my friends loved it but i could ot stand the characters, especially Daemon!!! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol same here! I know he's supposed to be the heartthrob but he didn't do anything for me!

      Delete