Thursday, February 5, 2015

A Time To Reap by Jonas Lee

A Time To Reap by Jonas Lee
Rating: PG
Genre: Sci-fi, Time Travel
Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Page Count: 250
Book #1 of the Legend Of Carter Gabel Series
Publisher: Createspace
Published: July 2014
 
Pemberton Academy is not just a school, it’s a gathering place for the children of the future that are afflicted with Temporal Displacement and Telepathy; in short, time travelers and mind readers who have been diagnosed with this “disease.” The Academy is not all as it seems after an explosion nearly takes one of its classmates, but not before Carter Gabel rescues her by using an unknown symptom related to his described illness. An unsanctioned group called the Program begins taking notice as the two classmates exhibit stronger abilities when they are together. Carter's sense of reality begins to unwind as he learns more about his estranged father's involvement with it all. Carter will have to overcome the past of his father leaving, the present of an unknown adversary hunting him down and a future that seems to change with each decision he makes. He will have to learn who to trust out of the people in his life if he wants to conquer the looming notion that the government may be hunting him down because of his developing abilities.
 
Review:
PROS:
1. First off, I was pretty excited when I was sent this book for review not only because it sounded freaking cool, but also because it was the type of book that I'd been wanting to read. There are quite a few things I liked about this book so without any more rambling, let's just jump right into the review!
 
2. The characters in this book were so loveable in many ways. I have to say that our main character, Carter, is definitely my favorite, hands down. He was very funny with his sarcastic comments and snarky personality and pretty much had the perfect image of a typical teenage boy with a sometimes overprotective mom and not enough sleep to handle his very exciting and unpredictable life. I really loved Carter because he made me laugh out loud with the things he said and was just a fun character to follow in this book.
 
3. The storyline was fast-paced from beginning to end which, of course, is always a good thing for a sci-fi book. I loved getting to know about Carter's world, the abilities he has, as well as going along for the ride as he has to not only stay out of harm's way but also fight to keep the people he cares about alive. There was a lot of twists and turns that kept me hooked, wanting to know what happens next and also had a few mind blowing moments and plot twists that were pretty awesome.
 
4. I really enjoyed the writing in this book as well. I really loved how the sarcastic comments from the characters gave the book a lighter and fun loving feel even though the story was a bit dark and serious. I also loved how everything was well explained from Carter's ability to Leap, to how him and his gang planned on pretty much shutting down an entire government system. It was an exciting read and I recommend this book to anyone who wants something fun, fast-paced, and is full of exciting moments that will have you on the edge of your seat.
 
Age Recommendation: +13
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

1 comment:

  1. Love the review! Thank you so much for taking the time to read it. I hope I can get your thoughts on the sequel.

    ReplyDelete