Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Review: Secret Identities by Various Authors (GN)

Secret Identities: The Asian-American Superhero Anthology by Various Authors
Rating: PG
Genre: Graphic Novel, Pop Culture, Anthologies
Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Page Count: 194
Stand Alone
Publisher: The New Press
Published: May 3, 2009
 
Appealing to both comics fans and Asian Americans seeking to claim their place in American culture, Secret Identities makes brilliant use of the conventions of the superhero comic book to expose the real face of the Asian American experience.
This groundbreaking graphic anthology brings together leading Asian American creators in the comics industry including Gene Yang (National Book Award finalist for American Born Chinese), Bernard Chang (Wonder Woman), Greg Pak (The Hulk), and Christine Norrie (Black Canary Wedding Special) to craft original graphical short stories set in a compelling shadow history of our country: from the building of the railroads to the Japanese American internment, the Vietnam airlift, the murder of Vincent Chin, and the incarceration of Dr. Wen Ho Lee.
Entertaining and enlightening, Secret Identities offers whiz-bang action, searing satire, and thoughtful commentary from a community too often overlooked by the cultural mainstream, while showcasing a vivid cross-section of the talents whose imagination and creativity is driving the contemporary comics renaissance.

Review:
PROS:
1. I was really excited to read this graphic novel, not only because I was in the mood for one but I was really interested in the Asian-American theme of this one. I love diversity and I thought this one delivered beautiful on that. I thought it was a really fun and laugh-out-loud type of graphic novel so let's get into the review!

2. The first thing I really loved about this graphic novel was obviously the art styles. Each short story had it's own art and I thought it was really cool to see that. I definitely had my favorites, however, but it was really cool to see how each story was illustrated differently and how each style matched the storyline and it's characters.


3. I also really loved how many genres were in this graphic novel. I think it definitely had something for everyone. It had stories from the war years, the silver age, modern day and even futuristic stories. I have to say that I really loved the modern day ones the best because I found them the funniest for an unknown reason. I really enjoyed these different time eras that each story was placed in and I think you'll find at least one story that will stick out to you.


4. I thought this graphic novel was so funny at times and even a little depressing at others. Some stories were heartwarming and beautiful whereas others were action packed and full of fighting and even had some girl-power in a few! I found myself laughing out loud at some of the characters and stories and I just overall really loved everything about this book. It's one that I highly recommend if you want a superhero story that focuses on multiple. I would love to see a few of these become full-length graphic novels, such as "Meet Joe" by Koji Steven Sakai.  It was a really fun read and I'll more than likely be picking it up again in the future!


I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

P.S: Is anyone on a Marvel/Superhero kick at the moment? I had to watch ten hours of Marvel movies in a 24-hour time period and I'm pretty sure I'm going insane.

P.S.S: The Avenger: Age Of Ultron was AWESOME!!!! Okay, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment