Sunday, June 28, 2015

Review: The Adventures Of Superhero Girl by Faith Erin Hicks

The Adventures Of Superhero Girl by Faith Erin Hicks
Rating: PG
Genre: Graphic Novel
Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Page Count: 112
Stand Alone
Publisher: Dark Horse Books
Published: February 26, 2013
 
What if you can leap tall buildings and defeat alien monsters with your bare hands, but you buy your capes at secondhand stores, and have a weakness for kittens, and a snarky comment from Skeptical Guy can ruin a whole afternoon? Cartoonist Faith Erin Hicks brings her skills in character design and sharp, charming humor to the trials and tribulations of a young, superhero battling monsters both supernatural and mundane in an all-too-ordinary world.  
 
Review:
PROS:
1. So this is yet another graphic novel that I stumbled upon while perusing the shelves at my library and I honestly picked this one up because of the author. I absolutely loved Faith Erin Hicks' Friends With Boys so when I saw this cute book, I couldn't just leave it there! Anyway, here's my review:
 
2. This time, I'll be starting with the characters to change things up a bit for you. I really loved all the characters in this book! I thought they were all really entertaining and goofy and witty. They had me laughing out loud and I really loved that. I also really loved our main character of course, Superhero Girl. I thought she was a fun character that had to struggle with being in a town with the lamest super villains you could imagine. She wanted so badly to be a great superhero but didn't exactly have it easy. What with her very own brother stealing the spotlight from her, she didn't exactly live up to her own fantasies of being the best superhero the city's ever had. The characters were just a lot of fun and I really enjoyed them.
 
 
3.Now I'm getting into the art! As always. I really loved the art in this book for many reasons. One was that it had a really fun color pallet with bright colors and fun hues. It wasn't too much for the eye to handle which I very much appreciated. Second was that it was really simple art just like in Faith's previous graphic novel that I talked about and I really liked that as well. I liked all the detail with this graphic novel as well and I also loved the varying character signatures such as this gal's green hair and Superhero Girl's mask. Obviously, you could easily tell them apart from each other.
 
4. Last but not least, I just thought it was a really fun and quick read that you could pick up in one sitting or if you need to kill some time, this one took me a little less than an hour to finish. I definitely recommend this book if you want a fun read or if you're looking for some new graphic novels to check out! This one I really loved and I kind of wish there was a sequel.
 
 
 
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment