Thursday, August 20, 2015

Review: Heroes Are Extinct: Volume 1 by Ryoji Hido

Heroes Are Extinct: Volume 1 by Ryoji Hido
Rating: PG
Genre: Manga, Science-Fiction
Score: ❤❤❤❤
Page Count: 200
Publisher: Digital Manga Publishing
Published: July 31, 2007

A hero from a distant star arrives on Earth to pit his strength against Earth's famous superheroes! Only problem is Earth doesn't really have any superheroes. Growing up watching super-hero TV shows from Earth - think Power Rangers or Ultraman, our fearless hero decides to amass an army on his home planet and invade Earth to pit his strength against them. Only when the invasion starts, no one comes to stop him. What is an alien on Earth supposed to do with entire army and no one to fight?!?




Review:
PROS:
1. As if the synopsis couldn't get any better, I just didn't see why this book or even how it could possibly be not as entertaining. I found this one while randomly looking for something new to read and I was really happy to have found this one. I wasn't sure if it would turn out to be good or not but hey, it looked good at the time and I needed something to keep me busy. Here's my review:

2. I'm happy to say that I pretty much loved everything about this manga, especially the characters. I seriously loved how random the characters were and how different they were from each other. They're supposed to be the heroes of their world but they don't exactly get along and they aren't your typical evil/good doers either. If anything, only one of them is "professional" and even then, the only things he knows about being a hero is what he watched on television. It was a really fun cast of characters to read about and I can't wait to get more of their story!

3. I love to draw manga myself but I was envious of all the cool costumes! Anyway, I love manga because it can get really detailed and the narrations can get really interesting. I loved the art in this book because it wasn't too complicated and wasn't harsh on the eye. I think the art would be cool to see in color but the grey scale is a normal thing for a manga series. I loved all the sound effects and narrations in this book because they were just so hilarious! What with the "sparkle, sparkle" and the "depression", it was just so funny to read and I couldn't get enough of it.

4. Overall, I highly recommend this book to anyone seeking a fun manga to get into. It's a very fast read (I read it in 30 minutes) and you will not be bored while reading this one. I couldn't stop laughing and at least every other page I was dying from something a character said or did and I will more than likely be picking up the rest of these books! I can't wait to see what trouble these characters get into and how they'll go about being the "heroes" they are.

5. P.S. If you love the Power Rangers (what's 90's kid doesn't?) or just anything about super heroes, you'll love this book! Just saying.

The reason why I didn't give this book a five-star rating was simply because I wasn't feeling well while reading it. Being sick and in a reading slump? NOT a good combo!

I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you guys have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!






No comments:

Post a Comment