Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Review: A Frozen Heart by Elizabeth Rudnick

A Frozen Heart by Elizabeth Rudnick
23658272
Rating: PG
Genre: Fantasy
Score: ❤❤❤❤
Stand Alone
Page Count: 304
Publisher: Disney Press
Published: October 13, 2015

Told in alternating chapters from both Anna's and Hans' perspectives, A Frozen Heart takes a sophisticated look at events of Frozen, exploring the couple's backstories, motivations, and doomed relationship. 

Review:
PROS:
1. Coming from a lover of Disney and a girl obsessed with anything and everything Frozen, I couldn't not pick this book up for myself when I ran into it at the store back in October. No way. Long story short, I finally got around to reading it and I was so excited to read a story I know I already loved. I adore book-to-movie adaptations so it was new to have a book that was the reverse of that. Reading a movie in book form? Sign me up! Watching the movie and reading the book version were very different experiences with some similarities so I'm pumped to tell you about it. Here's the review:




2. The first big difference with reading the book was the fact that we get to see way more of the story told from Han's point of view. I loved that part of the book since in the movie, most of the story follows only Anna and Elsa. In Han's POV, we get to see the events that play out that allow Hans to visit Arendelle and also get an insight into his plan to steal the throne. We get to see the way he thinks as well as see his actions while he's in charge of Arendelle while Anna and Elsa are gone and the intentions that transpire as Hans comes up with a way to secure his spot on the throne. It's all very interesting and it gives him a lot of backstory that we don't see in the movie. 


3. A lot of the book is, of course, identical to the scenes in the movie but there were some new scenes that were really fun to read, such as Anna and Kristoff's first meeting and getting prepared to go up the North Mountain and even what Anna was thinking and feeling while frozen as a statue. It was pretty interesting to read those new scenes as well as get more backstory on Kristoff, even though not much backstory is given but it was still nice to read. 

4. Reading the book was also fun because you already know what the characters look and sound like so imagining their journey is quite simple to do. even with the new scenes and material. One of my favorite things was getting a few questions answered in the book that the movie kind of skipped over. I won't say which questions were answered exactly but it did resolve some things, especially how Anna's childhood was really like with Elsa locked in her room most of her life.

The only things I didn't like about the book was that it felt a little more rushed in book form. It could be because of the dual POV's making the story feel that way since technically there are two stories playing out but it could also be because the story maybe just wasn't meant to be a written one. Some books are better suited for the screen and vice-versa but this one is a bit iffy for me. I did enjoy reading it rather than watching the movie for a change but I would honestly pick the movie over the book for this one. Now isn't that a first? 
I'm still a very big fan of Frozen and Disney and will forever be one, there's no quitting that. But I want to know what your favorite Disney movie is. So, what is your favorite and would you like to see that story in book form? Let me know in the comments!


Follow Elizabeth!

1 comment:

  1. This is going to be a brilliant one for Frozen lovers! And it's great that we get a lot more from Hans's point of view as well, because that just makes it all the more intriguing and different.

    ReplyDelete