Friday, September 30, 2016

Movie Review: Miss Heregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Rating: PG-13
Score: ❤❤❤❤❤
_____________________________________________________

Hello, everyone! So today is a day that I have been looking forward to all month and pretty much ever since I first read the book about a year or two ago. The release day of the Miss Peregrine movie. GET ME TO A THEATER NOW!!!

I literally just now got back from seeing the movie and immediately hopped onto my laptop to write this review up for you guys since I'm so darn excited about talking about this movie I can't contain it any longer. I hope you guys enjoy my review of the movie so please enjoy!

1. The first thing I seriously freaking LOVED about the movie was the casting. I honestly can't picture any other actor playing any of the characters. They were all so well cast that the actors pretty much became their characters and I thought that was just awesome. They really brought the characters to life and gave them the perfect on-screen personalities that made them such unique characters in the book. I have to say my favorite portrayal was that of Miss Peregrine herself. I might just be a tad bit of a fangirl when it comes to Eva Green and her awesomeness . . .


So yes, I quite liked the cast a lot. Especially Eva Green. She's perfect.

2. Can we just talk about those Hollows though? They were seriously SO COOL and creepy, but still VERY COOL. They looked exactly like how I pictured them in my head while reading the book and my brother noted they looked like something straight out of Silent Hill. Which I was very happy about since the Hollows aren't exactly the most cuddly creatures. They eat eyeballs for goodness sake. The editing for all the other effects such as the kids' superpowers, the giant literal bomb dropping, the action scenes, and all the little details in between was so fun to watch play out on screen and it felt like I was glued to the screen the entire time I was watching. 

3. The movie was just so entertaining and worth every second of it. I thought the pace was great, although a little bit of a weird jump from event to event in the beginning of the movie but it wasn't anything to ruin the movie itself. There were also some subtle changes to the characters such as changing the ages of Olivia, Hugh, and Fiona, switching the powers of Emma and Olivia, and changing up a few details and the way some events play out but once again, nothing huge and actually some of the differences made sense in hindsight for the film. I think even if you aren't a fan of the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series, this movie is totally a great one to see if you love sci-fi, action, mystery, adventure stories.

4. I think the only problem I really had with the film which I'm actually not mad about was the way the movie ended. If you've read the book, the last few chapters set up the story for the second book in the series, Hollow City, which takes place just after the first books ends. The ending of the movie was pretty different from the actual book and while it was pretty neat to watch the new ending and be surprised, I really wish the movie had been left open for a sequel should the studio go ahead with making a second installment in the film series. As of right now, there isn't any talk of a sequel that I've heard about but it would have been nice to have the movie end with the hope of a sequel since I seriously want a sequel. Like, right now.


Overall, I really loved the movie though the book was better. Then again, the book is always better so it's not surprising. I think huge mega fans of the series will love this movie since I'm pretty much obsessed with the books and I was dying to see the movie ever since it was announced that it was in development. I think people who haven't even read or heard of the books could really enjoy the movie and find at least one thing they loved about the film. I'm a huge Tim Burton fan so I might just be biased in saying it's one of his greatest films but I don't care. Tim Burton is a mastermind and I think he did an amazing job of capturing everything I loved about the book for a screen adaptation.
_______________________________________________________________

So I hope you guys enjoyed my little mini-review of the movie and let me know what you thought about the movie if you saw it in the comments! I would love to know! Read on, bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment